10 in 10: Why I like Being Homeschooled
I was really excited about this topic. Initially.
Until we went to film.
I became quickly frustrated. And realized, my kids don’t know why we homeschool. Do yours?
Actually, do you know why you homeschool? Do you have a vision? A mission statement? A purpose?
I realized that instead of issuing threats like, “Do you want to get on that yellow bus?”
or . . .
- You would have to sit at your desk all day long. Don’t complain that you have to stop playing. You have played outside for two hours.
- Your teacher would yell at you. You can’t snuggle with a public school teacher.
- Lunch? You would have to wolf it down. Don’t complain that I cooked you a nice lunch. Yes, you have to eat your freshly steamed broccoli.
- You’re complaining because you have to get dressed? We are going to the zoo for the second time this month!
. . . . I should be reminding them of the privilege of learning together as a family. I should be telling them how much I love them. They should know why their dad and I are choosing to educate them at home.
So, I am kind of embarrassed to tell you my children’s 10 reasons for enjoying school in the comforts of their home. Some are sweet. But some reasons are simply because they have been issued threats (from me). Sadly.
I plan on defining our school this summer, so that we enter the Fall with a greater purpose.
10 Reasons Why My Kids Like Being Homeschooled
- Because Mom is our teacher.
- I like going to book club. I like spending time with other people.
- I only have 4 classmates instead of 30.
- The snacks are better.
- We would have to be quiet all day if we went to public school.
- We can go to school in our pajamas.
- We don’t have to wake up early like Daddy.
- We wouldn’t get to see Naomi or be her friend.
- Larger lunches that don’t have to fit in a bag.
- Instant science experiments.