Giveaway #4 — $20 in Toys! from www.ebeanstalk.com
I read an interesting article in Mothering last night about a couple who didn’t register at the various baby stores when they were expecting. Instead, they encouraged friends to give them hand-me-downs, garage sale items, and lovingly used items. It is people like this that make me think.
When I was expecting my first child, I must admit that I looked forward to opening presents (but had to return many of them), acquiring the cutest new baby clothes (that weren’t so cute after spit up), and gently placing all the brightly colored toys in a perfect little basket (not realizing that later the toys would be thrown, puked on, and be recalled).
At one shower, my friend Janine gave me one of her child’s used lap pad and a few swaddling blankets. I thought it was odd (at the time). But let me tell you now, that those items rank among my most treasured. I have used them with all three of my children. Her present came with love washed into it!
Last year, I went to a clothing sale. I ended up purchasing several clothes from a woman because of the stories she could tell me about what her children did when wearing them. The smile and hint of laughter was delightful, and I felt good about what my child would wear.
But let’s go back to Janine. When I was pregnant she used to tell me stories about wood toys. Wood toys under the Christmas tree. Wood toys that were durable. Wood toys that allowed open ended and imaginative play. Wood toys that inspired creativity. I thought that she had a love affair with wood toys. For a long time, I just didn’t understand. (If you would recall it took me about 2 years to get on board with whole foods cooking and sprouting weird things! I can be a little thick headed.)
And then we were given a wood toy. Everything changed. I am officially a wood toy snob.
Why do I like wood toys so much? I like wood because
- they are durable
- they will last a long time, even to my grandchildren, should the Lord tarry
- they look nice in our house
- they allow your children to make the noise, not a battery
- they inspire creativity and open play (meaning there is more than one way to play with the toy)
- typically, they aren’t made with toxic paint or plastic
- they don’t leach
- and sometimes you can meet the woodcarver or support a local woodworker
So . . . let me introduce the 4th Birthday Bash giveaway. I specifically contacted
because not only do they have GREAT toys (including my two FAVORITE brands–Plan City Toys and Melissa and Doug), but they provide weekly parenting support emails that I have grown to value.
Now you may be feeling confused. I spent time reminiscing about used toys and now I’m going to offer you a $20 gift certificate from www.ebeanstalk.com for a NEW toy?
Fickle is what I am.
However, finding a lovingly used wood toy is hard. People don’t give them away. They keep them because they last. So, I’m encouraging you to start your own collection or add to your collection. By the way, $20 could purchase you some fun toys.
If I had $20 from ebeanstalk.com, I might get My Soft World Farm, Miracle Pounding, or the Stack and Sort Board for Mr. Smiley. For Mr. Me-Too I would probably keep Tot School in mind and supply him with Fit-A-Space, Who’s In The Zoo, or Eggspressions. And lastly for Mr. Smackdown I would have fun buying Home Tweet Home, The Magic School Bus Human Body, and the Under the Sea puzzle.
$20 gift certificate to purchase anything from www.ebeanstalk.com
Please, please, please . . .do not put more than one entry per comment. I will be using www.random.org to pick the winners. So if you would like for your comments to count, leave individual comments.
All options are worth 1 entry, unless otherwise stated.
- (Mandatory) Visit ebeanstalk baby toys or baby gifts, and leave me a comment telling me which baby toy is your favorite.
- Tweet about this giveaway, making sure to include @GranolaMom4God and leave a comment back at the blog.
- Sign up for the ebeanstalk parent letter located on the right of ebeanstalk’s home page and leave me a comment telling me you did so (I am counting on you being honest).
- Purchase something from ebeanstalk and receive 5 extra entries. Be sure to leave 5 comments stating that you did buy one of ebeanstalk’s items. Tell us what it was!
- Discover what two toys ebeanstalk refuses to sell (email me these at thejodimckenna.com) and I will give you credit.
- Find another blog post I wrote about ebeanstalk and share with me something that you learned.
- Put my blog, https://jodimckenna.com, on your blog roll in a continuously visible location, not just a blog post.
- Grab my button and place it on your blog for all to see!
Remember, only #1 is mandatory. The rest of the entries are optional, but you MUST comment separately for each one, except for #5.
The Fine Print: I will email you when you have won. You cannot win more than one giveaway. I must have your email address to alert you to your prize. You can include that in your comment or email me separately at thegranolamom4g
firstname.lastname@example.org. You must respond within 24 hours.
Contest ends 10/1/09